By / 4th March, 2015 / What to see / Off

canne della battaglia

The historic site, Canne della Battaglia, is close to Barletta, 12 km from Canosa di Puglia and only 8 km from B&B Barletta Acasamia. Dating back to the Stone Age, it is situated on an elevation in the Ofanto valley, amongst vineyards and ancient olive groves.

Destroyed in 547 during the Gothic War, Canne della Battaglia later gained status in 1100, after it became part of the diocese governed by bishop San Ruggero (St. Roger), patron saint of Barletta, who ordered the construction of a sanctuary, still visible today.

Canne flourished under Byzantine rule until 1083, but during Norman possession, it was subsequently destroyed by Roberto il Guiscardo, provoking an exodus of the population to nearby Barletta.

There are various sites of interest in this small town, such as the ruins of the medieval town and the ‘Antiquarium’; a history museum which documents the influence of various populations on the area, from pre-history to the middle ages, and which houses exhibits including, bronze and amber ornaments, burial artifacts, ceramics, Byzanitine coinage, etc. In addition, it holds a rich collection of pottery from the ‘dauno-peuceti’ era, discovered in various sites nearby.

In collaboration with qualified guides, Bed and Breakfast Barletta Acasamia can organise a tour of Canne della Battaglia and the museum for its guests. B&B Barletta Acasamia, which offers guests the convenience of secure, video-monitored parking, is also located close by the archaeological site for guests interested in planning a visit.

CANNE DELLA BATTAGLIA, THROUGH HISTORY KNOWN AS CANNE ultima modifica: 2015-03-04T19:34:08+00:00 da Francesco Damico